"The Leader" by Guy Walters

I just finished this book by Guy Walters entitled "The Leader". Right now, this book is only available in the UK and Canada (and maybe a few other Commonwealth countries, I don't know).

The POD for this book is 1936, when King Edward VIII decides not to adbicate his crown, leading to the general resignation of the British government and a general political crisis in Britain, with rioting and Fascist-Communist street battles. When Churchill's attempts to form a pro-King government fail, Edward VIII invites Sir Oswald Mosely to form a new government in early 1937. The book shows how 1937 plays out in Britain, with Mosely attempting to turn Britain into Nazi Germany without the Aryan superman nonsense, including plenty of posters, state-owned media, a secret police made up of professional sadists, and state-sponsered anti-Semitism and anti-Bolshevism. The hero here is James Armstrong, former Conservative party whip and erstwhile freedom fighter. Overall, the book is very much of a first effort, but it does have some interesting ideas nonetheless.

Hey Alastair, I posted on this book on the previous board, and it is avail here in Australia too- I've seen it at the supermarkets and bookshops and flicked thru it a bit. Very interesting WI scenario- 1 of the most prominent parts which I recall is with 1 BUF young lady (don't recall any names right now) who has a German SS boyfriend, recounting her tale of abusing and misleading an old Jewish woman while on a visit to Germany. There also seemed IIRC to be a pretty tight group of conspirators against Mosley.

General Questions

Somewhere near the middle, there was a scene where a man who "allowed" several of the protaganists escape was executed by beheading with an axe. Is it just me, or does that seem a little too tacky to be believeable? The Nazis never went at anyone with axes. (Nooses and bullets, yes, but not axes).

Also, does anyone have any idea what would have happened to the British Empire? There have got to be some major divisions over this, with some colonies enthusiastically supporting the new regime (South Africa and maybe Australia) while others are quietly horrified (Canada and New Zealand). How about India?

(All else aside, that symbol on the front of the book is quite a nice one. Why is it always the evil regimes that have the coolest symbols?)

Not necessarily tacky for the British to still use the axe. The Nazis used a guillotine that could behead several victims at once. Teutonic efficiency at its most obscene.

It's worth noting that a Fascist Britain not only might not ally with the Nazis, but actually could be fairly bad news for them. British national interests don't change, after all, whether Mosley is in charge, or Chamberlain, or Churchill. It's still Very Bad if a single power gets control of the Continent, and has access to the North Sea. Particularly if that power is controlled by a guy like Hitler, who seems to have trouble thinking rationally. And, unlike Chamberlain, Fascists are unlikely to understand the (rather flawed) logic behind appeasement.

Mosley himself was a British patriot first, and was always a bit queasy about Hitler. I could see him allying with Musso, then fomenting a French Fascist coup. These three powers, along with Franco's Spain would make an unpleasant but fascinating alliance against both the Nazis and the Stalinists. And, unpleasant as Italian-French-Spanish Fascism was, they would still be better than either Hitler or Stalin. It would get even more amusing if these leaders but DeGaulle and Liddell-Hart in charge of their armored divisions......

Pax Britannia said:
Does the book mention anything about how world war 2 plays out?

No, but I have a feeling, with Britain just experienced a nasty bout of Fascism, they will be more likely to step on Hitler for any transgressions.

Hitler and Mussolini will have two major problems. First, a profoundly anti-Fascist Britain taking an interest in continental affairs, and second, an example that a military coup can be successfully carried out in a Fascist country. If Hitler is smart, he will leave Austria alone and settle for purging the upper echelons of OKW. Mussolini, however, probably isn't politically secure enough to persue such a policy.

As for the Soviets, they will probably sit back, watch, and scheme away. I have no idea of what Japan or the USA would be doing.

P.S. Man, I wouldn't have wanted to be the president of France in 1937, no sir.

I also recall that at the book's end, Armstrong, after a long, exhilirating chase, compels Mosley to resign and Churchill to be reinstates as PM.

Melvin Loh said:
I also recall that at the book's end, Armstrong, after a long, exhilirating chase, compels Mosley to resign and Churchill to be reinstates as PM.

You sure? I thought there was an election, possibly with Chamberlain winning.

Aedh Rua said:
It's worth noting that a Fascist Britain not only might not ally with the Nazis, but actually could be fairly bad news for them. (...) Mosley himself was a British patriot first, and was always a bit queasy about Hitler. I could see him allying with Musso, then fomenting a French Fascist coup. These three powers, along with Franco's Spain would make an unpleasant but fascinating alliance against both the Nazis and the Stalinists (...).
Good points, Rua! I finally got around to read it. I kinda like Walters style of writing, but I find the plot and most of the characters quite unrealistic and unbelievable. As Rua points out; a fascist Britain would not be very interested in seeing Hitler rule the world, no matter how much they all like parading around in spiffy black uniforms. Mosley would most likely have more in common with Mussolini and Franco than with Hitler. I see his OTL fondness of Hitler as somewhat desperate and as a result of Mosley's increasing isolation in regards to domestic affaires. Give Mosley the reins as in The Leader and he'll probably turn on Hitler ASAP. France might be the biggest loser as Mosley and his new Britain might be more interested in Italy as a strategic partner.

Speaking of Mosley. Walters portray him as a clown, and eventhough I have no love at all for fascists, I find that very wrong. As far as I know, Mosley was nothing like that at all. He seems quite serious, intelligent and interested in the betterment of his fellow Britons.

What do you guys think?

Best regards and all!

- Bluenote.