Historia Ecclesiastica Gentis Romanorum- Ottonians in Constantinople

1. Romans 5: 3-5
........In those times, I myself was born- on the 8th of the Kalends of August, 1001 years after the Incarnation. Yet why tarry with useless words- attend dear Reader, as we return to the business at hand, long neglected.

The Emperor desired to restore the long dilapidated glory of the antique Romans, doing much to this end- about which different people thought different things. He was wont to eat alone at a semi-circular table, raised higher than the others. On a visit to Aquae Granni, he doubted where lay the bones of Carolus Caesar, and demanded to see them- once the grave had been opened and the lightless eyes of the old emperor had met those of his successor, he ordered a tooth to be taken back to Rome, where even now it may be seen as a miracle and monition towards faith and peace. In return for the tooth, the Emperor placed a golden cross which had been hanging from his neck onto that of Carolus Caesar and ordered him to be lain to rest once more.

Yet why narrate his every coming and going through the counties and bishoprics of the realm? Suffice it to say that he set aright the Transalpine Empire and returned to the Romulean Citadel, where he was received with great praise by the Apostolic seat and its cobishops.

After this, Gregory, who at that time was count of Tusculum and well beloved of the emperor, attempted to capture him with shameful deceit. He gathered a band of conspirators and forced his way through the city, aided and abetted by the base and vulgar of the Roman city- who are never pleased with their lords, for shame, and respond to the gentle hand of piety with such evil. The Emperor slipped through the snapping jaws of the city with his closest followers and began, asking them whether if their honour had been so stained they would stand in military rank behind him. Meanwhile, the Romans reddened from the shame of their crime and argued amongst themselves how best to submit themselves once again to Imperial grace.

As they delayed, the Emperor’s heart grew heavy in the knowledge that though he possessed all the countries of the Romans and the Lombards, Rome itself, which he professed to love and care for above all else, had hardened herself to him.Though he took care at all times to dissimulate and maintain a cheerful countenance, he was known to weep rivers by night. In those days he dispersed much wealth in alms and fasted almost the whole week, barring the fifth day.

Then arrived to the imperial presence the venerable holder of the Aggrippine Seat, Archbishop Heribert, and the patrician Ziazo, who as always held in his power the skill of mutating the Emperor’s despair into delight. In their retinue, they were accompanied by a legate of the Ambrosian Episcopate, to which had been entrusted some years prior the most excellent mission to Romania and the quest for a bride who might match the Emperor’s own dignity. The Emperor turned his shining face towards these welcome words and learnt the name of his bride to be- Zoe, which is in the language of the Greeks, life- and that she was presently on her route towards him.

Stirred by the promise of his new Life, and accompanied by his cousin Heinricus, Duke of the Bavarians as well as Petrus Urseolus, Duke of the Venetians, whose son had been baptised under the auspices and grace of the Emperor. As the Imperial procession marched south and news of the imminent celebration spread, the bubbling regret of the Roman populus erupted into fury at the conniving snake who had turned them against their natural lord, and praise be to the ever living and ever merciful God, the gates of Rome were thrown open before the Emperor. By the Grace of God, the Consors of the Imperium of the Romans, Zoe Porphyrogenita, was anointed with holy chrism by Pope Sylvester II before the primates of the realm and joined in flesh and spirit with the universal earthly Emperor Otto, third of his name on the anniversary of our lords suffering and resurrection , in the year 1002 of His Incarnation.

The most pious lord and lady found their union not bereft of divine favour, for many miracles were heard of in the land, which will greatly amaze you to hear dear Reader. In my fathers own castle, a boar with eight tusks was sighted and brought down with much difficulty. In Quidlinberg Abbey, an infant was found and entrusted to the Abbess who remained eternally young of body- and even now I have heard from dear friends that if you visit you may see and converse with him, and wonder at his form which does not appear more than ten years old, though many decades have passed since then. This and much more was said to have passed, the import of which must be obvious to any with eyes to see- and yet, why tarry with useless words dear Reader?

The truest sign of the divine favour that blessed the house of the Vicar of God was that even before the Lady Empress Zoe’s second coronation at Aquae Granni, fruit of her body had already entered the light of this world.

Last edited:
........In those times, I myself was born- on the 8th of the Kalends of August, 1001 years after the Incarnation. Yet why tarry with useless words- attend dear Reader, as we return to the business at hand, long neglected.

The Emperor desired to restore the long dilapidated glory of the antique Romans, doing much to this end- about which different people thought different things. He was wont to eat alone at a semi-circular table, raised higher than the others. On a visit to Aquae Granni, he doubted where lay the bones of Carolus Caesar, and demanded to see them- once the grave had been opened and the lightless eyes of the old emperor had met those of his successor, he ordered a tooth to be taken back to Rome, where even now it may be seen as a miracle and monition towards faith and peace. In return for the tooth, the Emperor placed a golden cross which had been hanging from his neck onto that of Carolus Caesar and ordered him to be lain to rest once more.

Yet why narrate his every coming and going through the counties and bishoprics of the realm? Suffice it to say that he set aright the Transalpine Empire and returned to the Romulean Citadel, where he was received with great praise by the Apostolic seat and its cobishops.

After this, Gregory, who at that time was count of Tusculum and well beloved of the emperor, attempted to capture him with shameful deceit. He gathered a band of conspirators and forced his way through the city, aided and abetted by the base and vulgar of the Roman city- who are never pleased with their lords, for shame, and respond to the gentle hand of piety with such evil. The Emperor slipped through the snapping jaws of the city with his closest followers and began, asking them whether if their honour had been so stained they would stand in military rank behind him. Meanwhile, the Romans reddened from the shame of their crime and argued amongst themselves how best to submit themselves once again to Imperial grace.

As they delayed, the Emperor’s heart grew heavy in the knowledge that though he possessed all the countries of the Romans and the Lombards, Rome itself, which he professed to love and care for above all else, had hardened herself to him.Though he took care at all times to dissimulate and maintain a cheerful countenance, he was known to weep rivers by night. In those days he dispersed much wealth in alms and fasted almost the whole week, barring the fifth day.

Then arrived to the imperial presence the venerable holder of the Aggrippine Seat, Archbishop Heribert, and the patrician Ziazo, who as always held in his power the skill of mutating the Emperor’s despair into delight. In their retinue, they were accompanied by a legate of the Ambrosian Episcopate, to which had been entrusted some years prior the most excellent mission to Romania and the quest for a bride who might match the Emperor’s own dignity. The Emperor turned his shining face towards these welcome words and learnt the name of his bride to be- Zoe, which is in the language of the Greeks, life- and that she was presently on her route towards him.

Stirred by the promise of his new Life, and accompanied by his cousin Heinricus, Duke of the Bavarians as well as Petrus Urseolus, Duke of the Venetians, whose son had been baptised under the auspices and grace of the Emperor. As the Imperial procession marched south and news of the imminent celebration spread, the bubbling regret of the Roman populus erupted into fury at the conniving snake who had turned them against their natural lord, and praise be to the ever living and ever merciful God, the gates of Rome were thrown open before the Emperor. By the Grace of God, the Consors of the Imperium of the Romans, Zoe Porphyrogenita, was anointed with holy chrism by Pope Sylvester II before the primates of the realm and joined in flesh and spirit with the universal earthly Emperor Otto, third of his name on the anniversary of our lords suffering and ascension, in the year 1002 of His Incarnation.

The most pious lord and lady found their union not bereft of divine favour, for many miracles were heard of in the land, which will greatly amaze you to hear dear Reader. In my fathers own castle, a boar with eight tusks was sighted and brought down with much difficulty. In Quidlinberg Abbey, an infant was found and entrusted to the Abbess who remained eternally young of body- and even now I have heard from dear friends that if you visit you may see and converse with him, and wonder at his form which does not appear more than ten years old, though many decades have passed since then. This and much more was said to have passed, the import of which must be obvious to any with eyes to see- and yet, why tarry with useless words dear Reader?

The truest sign of the divine favour that blessed the house of the Vicar of God was that even before the Lady Empress Zoe’s second coronation at Aquae Granni, fruit of her body had already entered the light of this world.

Ooh what do my eyes see, that it is an anonymous Roman bard, who narrates the deeds of our Emperor Otto the third with this name, of his life and deeds in this earthly world !, with very happy joy I welcome this news and it is hoped that let it continue 😇😜

getting serious again, it's fantastic to see a possible TL on Otto III, given that there are very few of them, I also like his marriage to Zoe, hoping that there will be some little many children in tow, I'm very curious to see how the new Augusta lady will settle in with the politics of the post Carolingian kingdoms ( I especially want to see how she will react with the culture shock she will have in her first trip to Saxony ) at least her husband can speak Greek, so there will be no communication problems between them, without forgetting that with Otto III surviving we will be able to see the process of integration of the nobility of Germany and Italy started by his predecessors continue, to convince / force the German nobility to assist the emperor in his Italian campaigns, given that they too have interests in site, which could potentially be the basis on which to start a proto-centralization of the Empire, in particular if combined with dynastic continuity

Last edited:
Ooh what do my eyes see, that it is an anonymous Roman bard, who narrates the deeds of our Emperor Otto the third with this name, of his life and deeds in this earthly world !, with very happy joy I welcome this news and it is hoped that let it continue 😇😜

getting serious again, it's fantastic to see a possible TL on Otto III, given that there are very few of them, I also like his marriage to Zoe, hoping that there will be some little many children in tow, I'm very curious to see how the new Augusta lady will settle in with the politics of the post Carolingian kingdoms ( I especially want to see how she will react with the culture shock she will have in her first trip to Saxony ) at least her husband can speak Greek, so there will be no communication problems between them, without forgetting that with Otto III surviving we will be able to see the process of integration of the nobility of Germany and Italy started by his predecessors continue, to convince / force the German nobility to assist the emperor in his Italian campaigns, given that they too have interests in site, which could potentially be the basis on which to start a proto-centralization of the Empire, in particular if combined with dynastic continuity

at the same time as I have already stated in this comment of mine :

the Ottonians had managed to "vasalise" so to speak the king of West Frankia ( since Otto I intervened successfully in the kingdom several times, in support of the Carolingian government of Louis IV and his son, but at the same time he was also an ally of Hugh the Great, he also made numerous campaigns in Lorraine, with the aim of further tying it to the Empire ), the real problem occurred under the government of Otto II, who, concentrated on subduing Italy and fighting the Muslims, faced numerous revolts instigated by cousin Henry and the dispute in Lorraine with the deposed dukes Reginald and Lambert supported by King Lothair IV, in addition to having to continue the process of subjugation and integration of the Slavs in the east, the first campaigns in Bohemia were under his reign, and then, dying young, he could not give his son a more solid rule of the empire ( although his wife Theophanu did an extraordinary job in preserving the integrity of the royal power and the reconquest of lands lost to the Slavs ) if Otto II was lived for a long time, then it is probable that there would have been a further step forward towards the process of centralization of the State, greater control over Italy ( and in particular over Rome ) with Lorraine integrating directly into the empire in a definitive and the consolidation of the eastern borders with the Slavic populations ( in particular Bohemia and with the Veleti and the Obodrites ) finally, it should not be forgotten that under his government marital unions were strongly encouraged among the various noble houses of his kingdoms, in particular among the Franco-Saxon and Lombard elites ( but we also see similar methods in Lorraine and Bohemia, with the intention to progressively insert it into the politics of the Reich ), with the aim of consolidating relations between the two kingdoms, but also of forcing the German nobles to support the Emperor in the military campaigns in Southern Italy, since many of them would have interests to defend or conquer locally (1) this process continued until under the Salians, but gradually lost importance in imperial priorities ( I believe it was a wasted opportunity to further amalgamate the kingdoms constituting the HRE ), and this could also be a very relevant factor to simplify the government of the future Otto III, which would find itself in his hands, the construction of the bureaucratic apparatus already underway, a noble elite less regionalized and more inclined towards imperial policies, greater influence in the territories with a Slavic majority ( which perhaps is already underway towards inclusion in the Empire, for example, the revolt of 983 totally destroyed the first important German settlements in the area ( such as Magdeburg and the original nucleus of Otl Brandenburg ), slowing down the process of assimilation which lasted until the XII/ 13th century ), and obviously the continuation of the policy of ingratiation of Italian families to consolidate royal control over the territory, policies then continued under Otto III in Otl, therefore his more lasting reign could still lead in this direction, certainly there would be problems, but they would be associated with our growing pains, more than anything else

1 ) 1) see for example Pandolfo Testadiferro ( Pandulf Ironead ), who was very loyal to the Ottonian party

Last edited:
with very happy joy I welcome this news and it is hoped that let it continue 😇😜
I’m glad you’re excited Nuraghe- I welcome your especial insight on the workings of Italy and the empire in this formative period.

I want entries in this to mirror the style and format of medieval chroniclers- which is freeing for me as it means I’m allowed to be contradictory, confusing, allow characters to go completely unmentioned as soon as i want, give the most barebones details etc etc. luckily in this period that means i get to talk about imperial women as well considering many were important abbesses

I definitely have my plans for how I want things to go over the next few reigns, but my ideas remain pretty fluid for much of France, England and central Germany in case anyone has ideas. A question I want to ask as we move forwards though- would people be interested if I spend a lot of time writing alternate saints lives and snippets from various abbeys, with the political life of the empire being something that emerges from who the saints are interacting with and who is giving land to these abbeys, or would we prefer a more traditional dynastic chronicle?

at the same time as I have already stated in this comment of mine :

the Ottonians had managed to "vasalise" so to speak the king of West Frankia ( since Otto I intervened successfully in the kingdom several times, in support of the Carolingian government of Louis IV and his son, but at the same time he was also an ally of Hugh the Great, he also made numerous campaigns in Lorraine, with the aim of further tying it to the Empire ), the real problem occurred under the government of Otto II, who, concentrated on subduing Italy and fighting the Muslims, faced numerous revolts instigated by cousin Henry and the dispute in Lorraine with the deposed dukes Reginald and Lambert supported by King Lothair IV, in addition to having to continue the process of subjugation and integration of the Slavs in the east, the first campaigns in Bohemia were under his reign, and then, dying young, he could not give his son a more solid rule of the empire ( although his wife Theophanu did an extraordinary job in preserving the integrity of the royal power and the reconquest of lands lost to the Slavs ) if Otto II was lived for a long time, then it is probable that there would have been a further step forward towards the process of centralization of the State, greater control over Italy ( and in particular over Rome ) with Lorraine integrating directly into the empire in a definitive and the consolidation of the eastern borders with the Slavic populations ( in particular Bohemia and with the Veleti and the Obodrites ) finally, it should not be forgotten that under his government marital unions were strongly encouraged among the various noble houses of his kingdoms, in particular among the Franco-Saxon and Lombard elites ( but we also see similar methods in Lorraine and Bohemia, with the intention to progressively insert it into the politics of the Reich ), with the aim of consolidating relations between the two kingdoms, but also of forcing the German nobles to support the Emperor in the military campaigns in Southern Italy, since many of them would have interests to defend or conquer locally (1) this process continued until under the Salians, but gradually lost importance in imperial priorities ( I believe it was a wasted opportunity to further amalgamate the kingdoms constituting the HRE ), and this could also be a very relevant factor to simplify the government of the future Otto III, which would find itself in his hands, the construction of the bureaucratic apparatus already underway, a noble elite less regionalized and more inclined towards imperial policies, greater influence in the territories with a Slavic majority ( which perhaps is already underway towards inclusion in the Empire, for example, the revolt of 983 totally destroyed the first important German settlements in the area ( such as Magdeburg and the original nucleus of Otl Brandenburg ), slowing down the process of assimilation which lasted until the XII/ 13th century ), and obviously the continuation of the policy of ingratiation of Italian families to consolidate royal control over the territory, policies then continued under Otto III in Otl, therefore his more lasting reign could still lead in this direction, certainly there would be problems, but they would be associated with our growing pains, more than anything else

1 ) 1) see for example Pandolfo Testadiferro ( Pandulf Ironead ), who was very loyal to the Ottonian party

finally I would like to point out that the Ottonians had more possibilities than their successors to juggle with the papacy, deposing or choosing candidates as they pleased ( therefore it is probable that we will see more of a precarious coexistence in TL, respect the Otl conflict between Pope and Augustus of the moment, also because the The Emperor cannot remain in Italy forever, otherwise he risks leaving too much free rein for the German princes, furthermore the clergy is part of the bureaucratic system set up by the dynasty, indeed it is its backbone, so it would be extremely counterproductive to enter into conflict with them )

I’m glad you’re excited Nuraghe- I welcome your especial insight on the workings of Italy and the empire in this formative period.

I want entries in this to mirror the style and format of medieval chroniclers- which is freeing for me as it means I’m allowed to be contradictory, confusing, allow characters to go completely unmentioned as soon as i want, give the most barebones details etc etc. luckily in this period that means i get to talk about imperial women as well considering many were important abbesses

I definitely have my plans for how I want things to go over the next few reigns, but my ideas remain pretty fluid for much of France, England and central Germany in case anyone has ideas. A question I want to ask as we move forwards though- would people be interested if I spend a lot of time writing alternate saints lives and snippets from various abbeys, with the political life of the empire being something that emerges from who the saints are interacting with and who is giving land to these abbeys, or would we prefer a more traditional dynastic chronicle?

for me there is no problem with this at all, a narrative that includes pieces of common life, stories of saints and sovereigns would be exactly how I imagine a medieval manual described, in fact it would make everything even more realistic

P.s

dear Otto, I know you have many problems to take into account, but I would like to point out two things that could help you a lot to avoid being expelled from Rome again : submit Tivoli ( which was one of the main requests that the Romans made of you, even if they they would probably like a Tivoli Delenda Est... ) and then get rid of the Crescenzi in some way ( they are dangerous conspirators and your main political adversaries in the Urbe ) finally build something for the people in the city ( it should earn you loyalty points with the plebs ), finally in the procession following your wife there must have been architects, writers, doctors, jurists, sculptors etc, they would be a good addition to your government, remember to make good use of them ( potentially making them collaborate with their local counterparts, so as to obtain an exchange of knowledge, which it would be very useful especially in Germany ) for the rest, avoid staying in Rome during the summer season, it is very dangerous for your health, go to the countryside instead, then once Italy has calmed down go back to Saxony to see what your cousin and the rest of the German princes are up to, you never know... , and vice versa, given that the same can be said for the Lombards

Last edited:
finally I would like to point out that the Ottonians had more possibilities than their successors to juggle with the papacy, deposing or choosing candidates as they pleased ( therefore it is probable that we will see more of a precarious coexistence in TL, respect the Otl conflict between Pope and Augustus of the moment, also because the The Emperor cannot remain in Italy forever, otherwise he risks leaving too much free rein for the German princes, furthermore the clergy is part of the bureaucratic system set up by the dynasty, indeed it is its backbone, so it would be extremely counterproductive to enter into conflict with them )

as for the future development of Germany and France, it will depend on how things will evolve in the empire, because I can easily see Royal Burgundy and Lotharingia being an integral part of the HRE at least 30/40 ahead of Otl ( the same thing can be said for Bohemia ) we will probably see the Saxon dialect become the German language par excellence ( given that without the Salians and the Staufers, the stem duchy of Saxony would remain unified, and it must be said that it extended from Otl Hanover to electoral Saxony, finally it is the " ancestral homeland " of the imperial dynasty, so the value of this prestige should not be forgotten ) with the probability of assimilating the neighboring minority populations ( both Slavic and Germanic, such as the Thuringians and little parts of Franconia ) I can imagine a greater diffusion of the Romance language towards the East ( in the region between Moselle and Rhine there was a similar dialect deeply rooted in the cities until the 13th century in Otl, now imagine what will happen with the population of Lotharingia and Arelate already fully integrated into the HRE, instead of being border areas like Otl, this is a very important labor reserve to facilitate this task )

Last edited:
2. Luke 11: 31
Of Gerberga, daughter of Heinricus of Bavaria and thus niece of Great Otto Augustus I, that great gem of the royal line, it may be said that though none of her ancestors possessed the Imperial dignity, she proved by her spiritual conduct that she was the beating heart of earthly piety. From the rudiments of her infancy, she came under the care of great governesses, and so waxed greater in maturity than others of her age, despite the florid vacillation of her feminine youth. In Bavaria, a land almost surrounded by pagans who lack the fundament of base learning, she shone forth in her study of the Bivium. Amable, affable and pious, more generous than most deserved, in her sixteenth year she was appointed Abbess of Gandersheim though undeserving of such honour, through the advice and suggestion of Emperors and Dukes, and without the absence of popular election.

She governed her abbey without a hint of womanly levity, and in place of a count gathered men for the defence of the Saxons who suffered under the innate perfidy of the Slavs. Her tribute to the foundation of peace lay not in the swing of the sword or the movement of military apparatus, but in constant fasting, oration, and calling for the assistance of God, though in both earthly and spiritual realms she excelled. As January 1002 reached completion, she gratefully gave up the ghost, having suffered a sudden fever for a number of days and is buried in the Church of St. Anastasius and Innocent next to her venerable ancestor Liudolf and his wife Oda, from whom is sprung our whole generation of kings. There she happily waits in hope of future resurrection. Who could stand with dry eyes amongst the wailing crowds as they thronged to see the tomb of their mother, yesterday living, breathing, laughing and now extracted from their midst?

Why tarry?

These mournful acts having been completed, Duke Bernhardus was joined by Archbishop Willigis of Magentia and Bishop Bernward raised Sophia, daughter of Otto Augustus II and Empress Theophanu Augusta, to the seat of Abbess, Mistress and Mother, for she had been adopted by Gerberga and was uniquely beloved by the same. Messengers were sent to the Kings of Francia and Anglia, Sophia's older sister Adelheida, Abbess at Quedlinburg and the Imperial court of Sophia's younger brother Otto Augustus. Hurrying south, the messengers reached the August City in a short time and found the Emperor rejoicing over his recent union with the Empress Zoe Augusta and doubled and tripled his joy by announcing the accession of his beloved sister to such an honoured seat. She was the fifth of her family to hold this seat. News of this happy occasion filled the Emperor's heart with the desire to return to the northern side of the Alps, that he might reunite with his sisters and introduce to them his new bride. Upon the occasion of the Empress's coronation at Aquisgrani, both his sisters stood at her side to counsel her in Christ, and in thanks the Emperor donated much land to the care of Gandersheim, which are as listed...........

Letter from Abbess Sophia of Gandersheim to Abbess Mathilda of Essen- c.1005

To her Cousin and Mother in Christ Mathilda, Abbess Sophia wishes for her perpetual salvation in Christ.

Beloved cousin, I have received the letter I most desired of you, and having read what you sent me, have clasped it to me soul and locked it in the treasury of my heart. Indeed I pray frequently for your constant good health in this life and that your everlasting soul may find its eternal dwellings in the favour of the most high God by his unending grace. I offer my gratitude that you ask after the good health of my sister Mathilda- I have lately begun to pray for her health, and that of my niece Sophia. The Emperor wept when he heard that his niece's entry into the world had come at great difficulty, and though I know my sister to be strong in will and of body, I fear that she gives herself over too much to that Count of hers. You yourself were her greatest support during her infancy, and I beg that you visit her, strengthen her virtue and help provide your esteemed wisdom to her daughters and sons, given that she too often busies herself in preparations for giving them a sibling.

How has the winter been treating the sisters at Essen? Gandersheim has had strange visitors of late- I found your English cousins to be utterly devoid of all those qualities that shine forth so eminently from your own reverence. I heard from one of my canonesses that they had made the journey through Saxony without any knowledge of my devotion to Christ and the canonical rule, in the hope that in place of Christ, I might take one of their princes as my lord and master. The matter was resolved in good order through the beneficence of Duke Bernhard, as he himself put forth his son Bernhard to return to England with them that he might marry a daughter of their king Aethelraed when he comes of age. I have not yet heard from our illustrious Emperor what he might make of this marriage- the daughter of an anointed king is a great prize for a family who were margraves still not two generations ago, and I do not myself think it proper for any of us to be married unless it be to Kings or to Christ. The English however, seem driven by great need, as I hear great sums of money are being transferred to the Northmen, and they hope that the military might of Saxon swords might threaten the Danes in their own provinces. May Christ always win and bring peace. Gandersheim will do what it can when the Duke makes his requests.

I fear my brother will be less rigorous in his defence of the royal dignity than I might have otherwise wished- our own sister is wedded to a Count. Our Empress occupies much of his attention since their marriage, and I find myself unsure in her presence. As is common in Greek women, she is not well versed in making friendly conversation, nor does she find herself well suited to the pious simplicity of my abbey, or indeed such grandeur as we have in Aquisgrani. My time with my own reverend and most glorious mother, the Empress Augusta Theophanu, was shorter than might have been best- and yet I hear echoes of her in our new Empress's voice. I do not know whether to turn to her as mother or sister. Helena has been a constant joy for us all and I was sad to see her follow her mother back to St Peter's city, but strife and discord seem to follow whenever conversation turns to her future. I had hoped she might bear my dear mother Theophanu's name or that of her aunt and great grandmother Adelaide, and yet my brother has decided to honour his wife by naming her Helena after her mother. The importance he gives this name escapes no one- just as Pope Sylvester sits on the Apostolic seat in Rome, the first since Constantinus Augustus brought Rome to Christ, my brother now gives his daughter the name of that Constantinus's daughter. He writes of her in charters as Helena Ottonia. She is approaching three years old now, and when she turns five, I should like her care to be entrusted to me here at Gandersheim, that she might succeed me here after I am given unto the Lord, or if my own love as her aunt is to be frustrated, perhaps to her other aunt, Adelaide at Quedlinburg. It would be most indecorous should she follow Mathilda's path and marry a count or duke, or worse, some Greek arrival.

You might also have heard of our Empress's second pregnancy- my brother instructed me to tell no one, as the child is sickly and may have already been entrusted to the lord. The consort begged him to allow her child to be born in Rome and that was something I believe my brother found difficult to resist, though he knows the city to be difficult and often plagued by unseasonable illnesses. I pray that though he is thrust ever higher and shown greater and greater favour by divine grace, my brothers pride does not overwhelm him. Once again, he hides his great idolatry of the Imperial saints in favour to the Consort's sceptre-bearing parents- if the boy lives, he will be announced to you as Otto Constantinus.

Fare well always and at all times

I can imagine a greater diffusion of the Romance language towards the East
I think I will definitely have to find an end for this timeline by the time we get to the year 1100- anything that happens here could become the lasting state of the world for centuries afterwards or could find itself undone by dynastic bad luck or external forces.

That diffusion is possibly beyond my scope, but you’re right it could end up happening.

Oh I definitely have plans for the reichskirkensystem- it’s something I’m approaching with a level of caution though because papal reform, libertas ecclesiae and the peace of god movement and the social currents that surrounded them so deeply affected all of European society.

For example one consequence was a changing of gender roles that meant that after the ottonians, no imperial women would come to hold the level of influence that Theophanu, Adelaide or Cunigunda had for pretty much the rest of the Middle Ages, with empresses mentioned as interceding for supplicants in a third to half of later ottonian charters.

Of Gerberga, daughter of Heinricus of Bavaria and thus niece of Great Otto Augustus I, that great gem of the royal line, it may be said that though none of her ancestors possessed the Imperial dignity, she proved by her spiritual conduct that she was the beating heart of earthly piety. From the rudiments of her infancy, she came under the care of great governesses, and so waxed greater in maturity than others of her age, despite the florid vacillation of her feminine youth. In Bavaria, a land almost surrounded by pagans who lack the fundament of base learning, she shone forth in her study of the Bivium. Amable, affable and pious, more generous than most deserved, in her sixteenth year she was appointed Abbess of Gandersheim though undeserving of such honour, through the advice and suggestion of Emperors and Dukes, and without the absence of popular election.

She governed her abbey without a hint of womanly levity, and in place of a count gathered men for the defence of the Saxons who suffered under the innate perfidy of the Slavs. Her tribute to the foundation of peace lay not in the swing of the sword or the movement of military apparatus, but in constant fasting, oration, and calling for the assistance of God, though in both earthly and spiritual realms she excelled. As January 1002 reached completion, she gratefully gave up the ghost, having suffered a sudden fever for a number of days and is buried in the Church of St. Anastasius and Innocent next to her venerable ancestor Liudolf and his wife Oda, from whom is sprung our whole generation of kings. There she happily waits in hope of future resurrection. Who could stand with dry eyes amongst the wailing crowds as they thronged to see the tomb of their mother, yesterday living, breathing, laughing and now extracted from their midst?

Why tarry?

These mournful acts having been completed, Duke Bernhardus was joined by Archbishop Willigis of Magentia and Bishop Bernward raised Sophia, daughter of Otto Augustus II and Empress Theophanu Augusta, to the seat of Abbess, Mistress and Mother, for she had been adopted by Gerberga and was uniquely beloved by the same. Messengers were sent to the Kings of Francia and Anglia, Sophia's older sister Adelheida, Abbess at Quedlinburg and the Imperial court of Sophia's younger brother Otto Augustus. Hurrying south, the messengers reached the August City in a short time and found the Emperor rejoicing over his recent union with the Empress Zoe Augusta and doubled and tripled his joy by announcing the accession of his beloved sister to such an honoured seat. She was the fifth of her family to hold this seat. News of this happy occasion filled the Emperor's heart with the desire to return to the northern side of the Alps, that he might reunite with his sisters and introduce to them his new bride. Upon the occasion of the Empress's coronation at Aquisgrani, both his sisters stood at her side to counsel her in Christ, and in thanks the Emperor donated much land to the care of Gandersheim, which are as listed...........

Letter from Abbess Sophia of Gandersheim to Abbess Mathilda of Essen- c.1005

To her Cousin and Mother in Christ Mathilda, Abbess Sophia wishes for her perpetual salvation in Christ.

Beloved cousin, I have received the letter I most desired of you, and having read what you sent me, have clasped it to me soul and locked it in the treasury of my heart. Indeed I pray frequently for your constant good health in this life and that your everlasting soul may find its eternal dwellings in the favour of the most high God by his unending grace. I offer my gratitude that you ask after the good health of my sister Mathilda- I have lately begun to pray for her health, and that of my niece Sophia. The Emperor wept when he heard that his niece's entry into the world had come at great difficulty, and though I know my sister to be strong in will and of body, I fear that she gives herself over too much to that Count of hers. You yourself were her greatest support during her infancy, and I beg that you visit her, strengthen her virtue and help provide your esteemed wisdom to her daughters and sons, given that she too often busies herself in preparations for giving them a sibling.

How has the winter been treating the sisters at Essen? Gandersheim has had strange visitors of late- I found your English cousins to be utterly devoid of all those qualities that shine forth so eminently from your own reverence. I heard from one of my canonesses that they had made the journey through Saxony without any knowledge of my devotion to Christ and the canonical rule, in the hope that in place of Christ, I might take one of their princes as my lord and master. The matter was resolved in good order through the beneficence of Duke Bernhard, as he himself put forth his son Bernhard to return to England with them that he might marry a daughter of their king Aethelraed when he comes of age. I have not yet heard from our illustrious Emperor what he might make of this marriage- the daughter of an anointed king is a great prize for a family who were margraves still not two generations ago, and I do not myself think it proper for any of us to be married unless it be to Kings or to Christ. The English however, seem driven by great need, as I hear great sums of money are being transferred to the Northmen, and they hope that the military might of Saxon swords might threaten the Danes in their own provinces. May Christ always win and bring peace. Gandersheim will do what it can when the Duke makes his requests.

I fear my brother will be less rigorous in his defence of the royal dignity than I might have otherwise wished- our own sister is wedded to a Count. Our Empress occupies much of his attention since their marriage, and I find myself unsure in her presence. As is common in Greek women, she is not well versed in making friendly conversation, nor does she find herself well suited to the pious simplicity of my abbey, or indeed such grandeur as we have in Aquisgrani. My time with my own reverend and most glorious mother, the Empress Augusta Theophanu, was shorter than might have been best- and yet I hear echoes of her in our new Empress's voice. I do not know whether to turn to her as mother or sister. Helena has been a constant joy for us all and I was sad to see her follow her mother back to St Peter's city, but strife and discord seem to follow whenever conversation turns to her future. I had hoped she might bear my dear mother Theophanu's name or that of her aunt and great grandmother Adelaide, and yet my brother has decided to honour his wife by naming her Helena after her mother. The importance he gives this name escapes no one- just as Pope Sylvester sits on the Apostolic seat in Rome, the first since Constantinus Augustus brought Rome to Christ, my brother now gives his daughter the name of that Constantinus's daughter. He writes of her in charters as Helena Ottonia. She is approaching three years old now, and when she turns five, I should like her care to be entrusted to me here at Gandersheim, that she might succeed me here after I am given unto the Lord, or if my own love as her aunt is to be frustrated, perhaps to her other aunt, Adelaide at Quedlinburg. It would be most indecorous should she follow Mathilda's path and marry a count or duke, or worse, some Greek arrival.

You might also have heard of our Empress's second pregnancy- my brother instructed me to tell no one, as the child is sickly and may have already been entrusted to the lord. The consort begged him to allow her child to be born in Rome and that was something I believe my brother found difficult to resist, though he knows the city to be difficult and often plagued by unseasonable illnesses. I pray that though he is thrust ever higher and shown greater and greater favour by divine grace, my brothers pride does not overwhelm him. Once again, he hides his great idolatry of the Imperial saints in favour to the Consort's sceptre-bearing parents- if the boy lives, he will be announced to you as Otto Constantinus.

Fare well always and at all times

Well nice, finally the women of the Ottonian dynasty enter the scene ! , and their very important role for the management of the kingdom in the absence of royal power and the patronage of local ecclesiastical institutions, the references and comparisons made by Sophia between her mother Teophanu and the new Empress, especially regarding her ways of doing things, they are truly fantastic, as well as the parallels with the imperial dynasties of the past, regarding the choice of the names of the two children of the Caesars couple ( I like the names you chose for them, even if I think that a possible third child will have a name purely of Carolingian or Saxon origin, such as Karl, Louis, Pepin, Ludwig or Henrich if it were a girl Adelaide and Teophanu are the easiest names to see used, After all, Otto was a convinced Romanophile, but he also idolized Charlemagne, so it would be quite normal ) very nice concerns for his younger sister who is married to a simple duke, and the thought that his young niece could suffer a similar fate or worse, now that I thought about it with Otto in Rome, quite secure in his position, it also means a more stable Sylvester II as Pope, so his reformist policies can continue, as well as potentially extending his life a few more years ( maybe he makes it to 1007/8 as pontiff ) how curious I am about the matter concerning the Anglo-Saxon court and a possible marriage with the Ottonians .....

Last edited:
I like the names you chose for them, even if I think that a possible third child will have a name purely of Carolingian or Saxon origin, such as Karl, Louis, Pepin, Ludwig or Henrich if it were a girl Adelaide and Teophanu are the easiest names to see used
For girls I agree, Adelaide and Theophanu make sense- I don’t know whether a carolingian name is as attractive. Karl, maybe, but Louis definitely seems the wrong dynasty- there are after all still carolingian dukes in Lotharingia. Otl they’ve only got a few years left but I could definitely see an extra lease of life for that dynasty.

sister who is married to a simple duke
Not even a duke- Mathilda married Ezzo, Count Palatine of Lotharingia, in a marriage that seems to have been in some way controversial. She was the first ottonian princess to not snag at least a duke, if not a king, and they had a lot of kids.

Anglo-Saxon court and a possible marriage with the Ottonians
For the moment it seems like they’ve settled for the match with the billungs- just as an Eadgyth of Wessex married Otto the Great before he became king of Germany and became ancestor of Mathilda of Essen, another Eadgyth of Wessex seems to be on her way to the Saxon court.

For girls I agree, Adelaide and Theophanu make sense- I don’t know whether a carolingian name is as attractive. Karl, maybe, but Louis definitely seems the wrong dynasty- there are after all still carolingian dukes in Lotharingia. Otl they’ve only got a few years left but I could definitely see an extra lease of life for that dynasty.

Not even a duke- Mathilda married Ezzo, Count Palatine of Lotharingia, in a marriage that seems to have been in some way controversial. She was the first ottonian princess to not snag at least a duke, if not a king, and they had a lot of kids.

For the moment it seems like they’ve settled for the match with the billungs- just as an Eadgyth of Wessex married Otto the Great before he became king of Germany and became ancestor of Mathilda of Essen, another Eadgyth of Wessex seems to be on her way to the Saxon court.

Oh speaking of a dying dynasty, in addition to the Carolingians in Lotharingia, we also have a dynastic crisis about to be in Arles, because if things proceed as Otl ( with Rudolph III of Burgundy, who died in 1032 without legitimate children ) then there is a good chance that the Ottonians will inherit that kingdom ( as descendants of Adelaide of Burgundy, and above all because Rudolph himself owes the maintenance of his throne to the intervention of Otto III and the old empress Adelaide in 999 in his aid at the aim of pacifying the rebellious nobility of the kingdom ) without forgetting that from 1006 Henry II intervened several times in the internal affairs of the kingdom ( as well as occupying Basel for years and trying to force Rudolph to recognize him as his heir ) and finally in 1016, the nobles of kingdom, led by the count of Burgundy, Otto William, rebelled again against their lord, due to an appointment by the bishop of Besançon, who pitted King Rudolf against his vassal Otto William ( technically the local lord of the area around the bishopric ) finally we must remember the oath of vassalage by Rudolf in 1018 and then in 1024 towards the emperor, so the repetition of a similar situation cannot be ruled out ( just as a possible division of the kingdom between the Emperor and the dukes of Lotharingia ) or the succession crisis in Swabia in 1013, which with the death of Herman III saw the duchy pass into the hands of the Babenbergs , how will you want to deal with these situations ? , because they would be opportunities to slowly increase the imperial / dynastic demesne of the Ottonians in Germany ( I probably see them dividing the territories in question with the minor princes, rather than totally annexing them, to avoid possible noble insurrections who fear a uncontrolled expansion of the imperial dynasty )

Last edited:
You know that on reflection I think it would be nice to have some document that tells the story from Zoe's perspective, especially her impressions of the cultural differences between her current home and Byzantium, her relationship with her husband and the role she wants to carve out for herself in politics ( certainly not must necessarily be in the first person, it could very well be a document from an ambassador of Basil II to the Western court, who writes to the Basileus how his niece is settling in and similar things ) furthermore it would be fun to see how he approaches and relates to "the specter of Teophanu ", in the sense that as you have already mentioned, comparisons will be the order of the day

You know that on reflection I think it would be nice to have some document that tells the story from Zoe's perspective, especially her impressions of the cultural differences between her current home and Byzantium, her relationship with her husband and the role she wants to carve out for herself in politics ( certainly not must necessarily be in the first person, it could very well be a document from an ambassador of Basil II to the Western court, who writes to the Basileus how his niece is settling in and similar things ) furthermore it would be fun to see how he approaches and relates to "the specter of Teophanu ", in the sense that as you have already mentioned, comparisons will be the order of the day
It probably would be nice yes- but unfortunately, its really rare to get any political figures personal impressions of anything in this era. There are clues though, and you're welcome to imagine her however you want. Just in going through the itinerary that Otto III followed in his otl reign, with almost yearly switches between spending time in Germany and Italy between 994 and 1002, I can imagine that for a girl that's spent most of her life in the immediate environs of Constantinople it would be exhausting, especially with her pregnancies. Something of her personal attitude might shine through in this next little bit as well!

3. Hebrews 10:30
Annales Beneventani sive Sanctae Sophiae

1003- Saracens besieged Mt Scaviosum, and were frustrated.

1005- Otto Emperor laid siege to Benevento and Adhemar received the county

1006- In February John the Patrician received the county of Capua. Xiphea Catapanus arrived in May.

1007- The aforementioned catapan died. Otto Emperor seized Bari.

1009- There fell a harsh winter, in which many olive trees were desiccated and fish and birds died. In May the rebellion of Landulf began, and in August the Saracens captured Cosentia. The permanent synod began in Rome.

1010- In this year Otto Emperor laid siege to Capua to restore peace after the disturbance of Landulf. Zoe Empress ascended to Constantinople.

1014- In this year Otto Emperor descended upon Salerno to restore peace following the disturbance of Guaimar and Dattus

Establishment of Ottonian Rule in Southern Italy

The defeat of Otto II in the battle of Stilo (982) had been his most ignominious defeat and resulted in much of the discord which was inherited by Otto III when he became emperor a year later. Though much of the first two Otto’s southern Italian policies had a distinctly anti-Constantinopolitan flavour to it, this had been largely reversed by the marriage of Otto III and Zoe Porphyrogenita, and the western emperor now sought to establish firmer control on the Lombard principalities and turn his attention to the muslim controlled Emirate of Sicily.

Prior to his marriage, Otto had appointed his childhood companion Adhemar as Prince of Capua in 999. The Capuans soon revolted and replaced Adhemar with Landulf of St. Agata, the brother of the then reigning Prince of Benevento- in response Otto returned from Germany following the congress of Gniezno in 1000 in order to lay siege to Benevento in the same year, which was unsuccessful. His attention was further required by revolts in Rome and then his own marriage in 1002, and then the coronation of the empress in Germany.

Whilst in Germany the Emperor led a renewed campaign in 1004 against the pagan Lutici and received the homage of Duke Mstislav of Obodria, further undoing the damage done by his fathers early death. Having already given birth to their first child, Helena Ottonia, the imperial couple returned to Rome in November 1004, where Otto IV Constantine was born in April 1005. This had left Otto unable to take advantage of a local revolt in Benevento in 1003, which had seen Pandulf II and his son Landulf V expelled from the city. By the time Otto returned to southern Italy, the Landulfings had returned to the city, and he was once again forced to besiege it. This time successful, Adhemar was installed in Benevento in September 1005. Pandulf and Landulf now fled to Capua, where Pandulf’s brother Landulf was still in power- failure to turn over the pair led to a siege of Capua in 1006, broken by Landulf of Capua’s sudden death. Pandulf was accused of fratricide and taken to Rome, and Landulf of Capua’s young son Pandulf was placed under the guardianship of Adhemar of Benevento. Significantly, the principality of Capua was then granted to the Roman noble John Crescentius, who had earned the title of consul.

Since the marriage of Otto and Zoe, there are attested Constantinopolitan lawyers present in Rome, fulfilling the Emperor’s desire to strengthen the remit of Roman law- presumably one or more these was instrumental in the creation of the Corpus Ottonianum, a translation into Latin of the principles of Roman law as it was practised in the East. This closer contact did not eliminate the potential for friction in southern Italy however, and when Alexios Xiphias arrived in Bari as the Katepan of Italy in July 1006, his mission was probably to check the growing influence of Ottonian power- unfortunately for this mission, Xiphias died sometime in the summer of 1007, and when Otto marched to Bari in December 1007 it does not appear that he encountered significant resistance. While the post of strategos of Lombardy was united with prince of Benevento under Adhemar, in Calabria it was left to Leo Patianos, the previous commander of the Excubiti, a unit of the central Constantinopolitan field army deployed in the provinces.

As it seemed like Basil II was unable to respond, being occupied with Balkan campaigns, Otto returned to Rome in summer 1008, where he soon celebrated the birth of a second son- Henry Stephen, named after Stephen of Hungary.

During this period, Pope Benedict VIII, introduced legislation regulating the attendance of the Permanent Synod (Permanens Synodus). There was always a large and diverse collection of clergy accompanying the emperor on campaign, ranging from archbishops to chaplains. As the emperor spent more time in Rome, this group also began to claim entrance into the Aula Concilii of the Lateran palace, leading to a need to clearly define who was and who was not permitted to be present. Alternatively, the institution of a permanent synod in Rome may well have been conceived of by Emperor Otto, as a continuation of his policies of introducing Constantinopolitan forms of organisation in Rome. The list of those permitted in the Permanent Synod is strikingly similar to those permitted into the Endemousa Synod in Constantinople, whether by design or by accident, allowing the Synods to claim roughly equivalent status, being mainly composed of archbishops and five patriarchal functionaries. Unlike the Eastern synod, the Western also included those bishops who had been awarded the title of Logotheta by the emperor, of which there were originally two, the Logotheta Militaris and the Logotheta Genici, reflecting the fact that bishops in the west at this time played a much more active role in secular government than their eastern counterparts.

The Constantinopolitan response to the Ottonian takeover of Greek Italy came in 1010 when Basil Argyros, the strategos of Samos, led a fleet which was received by Leo Patianus, who Otto had left as strategos of Calabria. The two were soon joined by Landulf V of Benevento and the combined force began to head east to Bari. The populace of Bari then expelled Adhemar and surrendered to the Greek forces- however the situation collapsed when Otto returned south. This time a diplomatic resolution was enacted through the intercession of Zoe, who claimed senior command as the only member of the Macedonian dynasty present. She returned to Constantinople with Basil Argyros and Landulf during this time and successfully negotiated the official handover of Italy to the Ottonians. However, the on the ground Constantinopolitan presence seems to have actually increased in the years following this, as documentary evidence reveals the presence of kritai (judges), kommerkiarioi (customs officials) and dioiketai (tax collectors) whose names and titles reveal Greek and sometimes even Greco-Armenian origin, at a frequency which matches evidence for contemporary western Anatolia. Most strikingly, there is evidence for such officials in territory which in all likelihood had not seen Constantinopolitan administration since the 6th century- a certain Philaretos Tzimiskes is attested as kommerkiarios of Naples in 1017, for example. The increased integration of southern italy into the Constantinopolitan fiscal system was matched by its increased integration into the military system of the Roman government- after Leo Patianus was deposed, Otto appointed Adalbero of Eppenstein as Strategos of Calabria, and is not known to have appointed any Greek to a military position in southern Italy. This division of responsibilities served a purpose for both courts, as it enabled greater fiscal rewards for Constantinople and weakened the power of southern Italian princes to resist Rome’s military.

That the officialdom of southern Italy began to resemble that of the heartland provinces of Constantinople probably meant that the tax burdens increased to match- although there is no record of the allelengyon being collected in Italy, there is evidence that the anti powerful legislation of Basil II was put into effect, and that men who were eligible for Lombard military levy began to be charged the strateia. This combined with the dramatic reduction of judicial and fiscal responsibilities which had previously been under princely control lead to the revolt of Guaimar III of Salerno and a Lombard in Bari called Dattus in 1014, which was put down without imperial intervention by Duke Adhemar of Calabria.

Stumbled on this TL yesterday, read it all and have to say I'm greatly impressed! I love the way of writing and am looking forward to many new installments.