Appendix I: The Aristocracy of England

So I had the idea of doing an appendix post to keep track of which families in England have which titles, but I also thought why stop there? I’ve decided that every now and then I’m going to do an appendix post, which won’t contribute to the story, but will summarise some of the events that have already happened. So the appendices will do a bit of admin and housekeeping, sort of, and keep things neat. I have a few planned, and if you guys want, I’ll do an “art gallery” one, which would just be AI images of the main characters so far in the story (I also realise now that I should have made Chapter Five: Family Trees an appendix post, but I don’t want to retroactively change every chapter number for that, so that will stay as it is). Anyway, for now, here is the first appendix, charting the titles of the various families of England! Bear in mind, this isn't all of them - I will post additions to this as we go, so check again every now and then for more changes.

NOTE FOR THE FUTURE: I intend on updating this as the TL progresses, so beware for spoilers if you read this any significant time after I post it!

House of York
  • Titles of the King
    • Duke of York, Earl of March, Earl of Ulster (initial titles of Edward IV before ascending the throne)
    • King of England, Lord of Ireland (gained when Edward IV took the throne)
    • Count of Longueville (territory granted to England by the Treaty of Meaux, and Edward IV made the county a crown land)
    • Earl of Warwick, Earl of Salisbury (acquired by Edward IV through marriage to Isabel Neville)
  • Royal appanages
    • Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, Earl of Chester (titles of heir apparent)
    • Duke of Lancaster (title of second son)
    • Duke of Bedford (title of third son)
    • Duke of Cambridge (title of fourth son)
  • Any abeyant titles absorbed into the Crown, including subsidiary titles of the House of Lancaster
House of Rutland
  • Earl of Rutland (initial title of Edmund of Rutland, before the Yorkist ascendancy)
  • Duke of Rutland (earldom upgraded in 1461, but earl title remains valid)
  • Burgundian branch
    • Count of Ponthieu (Burgundian title) (granted to Lionel FitzRutland in 1490 by Prince Philip IV)
  • Devonian branch
    • Earl of Devon (granted to Thomas FitzRutland in celebration of his marriage)
    • Baron Harington, Baron Bonville (brought to Thomas FitzRutland as dowry by Cecily Bonville)
  • Irish branch
    • Duke of Cork (initially an earldom held by Edmund in the Lancastrian era but upgraded to a duchy, later passed to Edward FitzRutland)
House of Gloucester
  • “Stewart” branch (descendants of Richard and Margaret Stewart)
    • Duke of Gloucester (Richard made Duke of Gloucester following Edward IV’s accession)
    • Baron Clifford (awarded to Richard for his part in crushing the Clifford Rebellion)
  • “Neville” branch (descendants of Richard and Anne Neville)
    • Lord Glamorgan (inherited on Richard, Earl of Warwick’s death by Anne)
Tudor Family
  • Earl of Richmond (Edmund Tudor made Earl of Richmond by Henry VI; the title passed to his son Henry)
  • Duke of Somerset (granted to Henry Tudor as a reward for capturing the Red Prince)
Hastings Family
  • Lord Hastings (lordship created for William Hastings after Yorkist ascendancy)
  • Norfolk branch
    • Duke of Norfolk, Earl of Nottingham (granted to Edward Hastings after marrying Anne Mowbray, Countess of Norfolk)
    • Earl of Surrey (traditionally used by the Hastings family for the heir to the Duchy of Norfolk)
  • Norman branch
    • Count of Clermont (devolved to William’s second son Richard, granted following the Treaty of Meaux)
Neville Family
  • Senior branch
    • Earl of Westmoreland (first made in 1397 for Ralph Neville, eventually passed to Humphrey Neville)
  • Junior branch
    • Earl of Worcester (George Neville made Earl of Worcester as the heir of John Tiptoft, previous Earl)
    • Baron Montagu (John Neville initially made Marquess of Montagu, but after his death reverted to barony)
Amazing work there too

Great chapter, nice things happening in Italy and France with Maximilian and the Borgias. How far will Cesare go with that ambition of his, hopefully it doesn't greatly damage his family by making one to many enemies. You think we can get a map of the progress of the war so far?

Keep up the great work 👍 👍 👍
Thank you! I think we'll get to see Cesare marry Charlotte of Naples - I'll have it so that after her mother's death Charlotte went with her father Frederick back to Naples, which will eventually manage to butterfly her into marrying Cesare (OTL, she was raised in France, and married Guy XVI, Count of Laval).

And I'll see what I can cook up about the map ;)