I think Timur will give the Romans a good fight, but will absolutely demolish the various Turkish warlords that might've allied with them or fought against them. Anatolia will be made a wasteland that the Romans need to stabilize.
Yeah, hoping that timur beats the turks senseless and after a few rounds he and the romans can become allies.

Amazing TL first I have to say

I have a question, since we avoided collapse of empire like ITL, what will be of renaissance?
Will it origins be in italy as OTL or something different?

I appreciate Margaret's continued role in the family and the growing strength of the alliance with the Plantagenets. It'll be interesting to see Manuel in Bourdeaux, where his nephew was born. John of Bordeaux should be nine, so we can get a peek at how he's growing up and how many other siblings Edward and Maria have given him!

All this is making me more excited to see how Timur's rampage will affect Rhomania, for both good and ill, especially as Timur giving the Empire a good beating could provide a chance for reforms and the like that would never have flown in more normal times to be able to occur that would be to the benefit of the Empire in the long-term.
Would Timur even see a need to fight Rhomania? Main reason he got that far was to beat up the Ottomans who were starting to spread into the eastern edges of Anatolia and thus were the biggest neighbor capable of threatening Timur's Empire aside from the Mamlukes (The Golden Horde, Chagatai Khanate, and Delhi Sultanate had all been trounced by this point). In this version he might smash the Otto's a little for tribute (since they are a lot less of a threat this time) and then focus more towards the Mamlukes (the last major power anywhere near Timur's borders), than the full invasion he did OTL of Anatolia.

John of Bordeaux should be nine, so we can get a peek at how he's growing up and how many other siblings Edward and Maria have given him!
With how good a relationship Edward and Maria have, I'll assume they have a lot of children. The two get busy whenever beating the French isn't a priority 🤣🤣🤣

With how good a relationship Edward and Maria have, I'll assume they have a lot of children. The two get busy whenever beating the French isn't a priority 🤣🤣🤣
Yep, and with Edward surviving John will be NOTHING like OTL richard II, and will hopefully do everything within his powers to prove he's NOT like lackland

Yep, and with Edward surviving John will be NOTHING like OTL richard II, and will hopefully do everything within his powers to prove he's NOT like lackland
To prove his worth, the future John II will go on crusade with the Romans and make Scotland a client state (later annexation) for the Plantagenets like Serbia is for the Palaiologoi.

Last edited:
To prove his worth, the future John II will go on crusade with the Romans and make Scotland a client state (later annexation) for the Plantagenets like Serbia is for the Palaiologoi.
Perfect, he can recognize that France as a whole is just not fesable and could commit himself to finish the noble work of edward longshanks.

Perfect, he can recognize that France as a whole is just not fesable and could commit himself to finish the noble work of edward longshanks.
I think it'll be awhile, if it even happens, before the Plantagenets decide (or more likely forced) to concede on taking the whole of France. It would be interesting if the Plantagenets decided to break up France as much as possible, if they can't control it, no one else will be allowed to.

France is a mere geographical expression 😈😈😈

All this is making me more excited to see how Timur's rampage will affect Rhomania, for both good and ill, especially as Timur giving the Empire a good beating could provide a chance for reforms and the like that would never have flown in more normal times to be able to occur that would be to the benefit of the Empire in the long-term.
I think Timur will give the Romans a good fight, but will absolutely demolish the various Turkish warlords that might've allied with them or fought against them. Anatolia will be made a wasteland that the Romans need to stabilize.
Yeah, hoping that timur beats the turks senseless and after a few rounds he and the romans can become allies.
Would Timur even see a need to fight Rhomania? Main reason he got that far was to beat up the Ottomans who were starting to spread into the eastern edges of Anatolia and thus were the biggest neighbor capable of threatening Timur's Empire aside from the Mamlukes (The Golden Horde, Chagatai Khanate, and Delhi Sultanate had all been trounced by this point). In this version he might smash the Otto's a little for tribute (since they are a lot less of a threat this time) and then focus more towards the Mamlukes (the last major power anywhere near Timur's borders), than the full invasion he did OTL of Anatolia.
Timur and the Romans being enemies is the trajectory that’s basically set in stone—Timur enacted outright genocide on any non-Muslim he came across in the Near-East in the name of Islam, and even against other Muslims he thought to be insulting or against the original Mongol order; having attacked the Ottomans OTL for two reasons, one he and the Ottomans were exchanging insults for years prior, and two the Ottomans had ‘usurped’ the Mongol-approved Seljuk dominion over Anatolia, which Timur wished to reinforce for legitimacy reasons.

Considering the fact that by this point the Ottomans own all of Anatolia, roughly, except Aydin, which is a Roman ally and a naval power, they have almost as much power as they did OTL when Timur arrived; the ‘Sword of Islam’ is very likely to stab as deep into Anatolia as he can muster before being forced out.
Amazing TL first I have to say

I have a question, since we avoided collapse of empire like ITL, what will be of renaissance?
Will it origins be in italy as OTL or something different?
The Renaissance had it’s roots in the early 1300’s, but accelerated as more and more Roman scholars and intellectuals fled the crumbling Empire. Thus TTL what will probably happen is the continued development of a ‘lesser’ Italian Renaissance that is later outright going to piggyback off of the Roman’s Palaiologan Renaissance—which TTL would thus see the Renaissance emerge in Constantinople, Thessaloniki, and Athens.
I appreciate Margaret's continued role in the family and the growing strength of the alliance with the Plantagenets. It'll be interesting to see Manuel in Bourdeaux, where his nephew was born. John of Bordeaux should be nine, so we can get a peek at how he's growing up and how many other siblings Edward and Maria have given him!
I think it'll be awhile, if it even happens, before the Plantagenets decide (or more likely forced) to concede on taking the whole of France. It would be interesting if the Plantagenets decided to break up France as much as possible, if they can't control it, no one else will be allowed to.

France is a mere geographical expression 😈😈😈
Best second option, may as well decentralize the whole thing as much as they can.
Really hate to burst the bubble, but both the Black Prince and Maria the Elder were pretty old when they married; Maria was pushing spinster status at 31, and Edward was John V’s age at around 32-33. The fact that they had two children, both of them being sons, John of Bordeaux, and Edward of Angouleme, is itself a ‘miracle’ considering her age, as she was late-30’s when EoA was born TTL.

As for Scotland, or France; Scotland is already seen as an English vassal to begin with, and as much as we might wish it as Plantagenet fans, France is too strong a realm and ‘identity’ to be crushed to dust by the English. Continental power can only come at the expense of the Isles, which’ll never happen, thus without a sort of DoD ‘Dual Monarchy’ situation, which I don’t see happening without me just blatantly railroading it, England is likely to be forced onto the OTL trajectory of being a naval and extra-continental power once France inevitably slowly, slowly, claws it’s way back.

Although weaker territorially than OTL considering Brittany and Burgundy will have formed into independent realms.

My current idea, which might change, is that
the House of Plantagenet will split as OTL into one or two cadet branches, and one will come to rule Brittany, while the other will end up enacting a ‘fusion’ via matrilineal marriage to the Stuarts, who I’m also a fan of, thus achieving a ‘Britain’ wherein the monarchy isn’t curtailed so deeply by some ‘Glorious Revolution’ like event. We might see a Britain as early as 1600 under a Plantagenet-Stuart dynasty.

Last edited:
The Renaissance had it’s roots in the early 1300’s, but accelerated as more and more Roman scholars and intellectuals fled the crumbling Empire. Thus TTL what will probably happen is the continued development of a ‘lesser’ Italian Renaissance that is later outright going to piggyback off of the Roman’s Palaiologan Renaissance—which TTL would thus see the Renaissance emerge in Constantinople, Thessaloniki, and Athens.
Hope the romans have time to barricade as timur slaps the turks around

Really hate to burst the bubble, but both the Black Prince and Maria the Elder were pretty old when they married; Maria was pushing spinster status at 31, and Edward was John V’s age at around 32-33. The fact that they had two children, both of them being sons, John of Bordeaux, and Edward of Angouleme, is bad itself a ‘miracle’ considering her age, as she was late-30’s when EoA was born TTL.

As for Scotland, or France; Scotland is already seen as an English vassal to begin with, and as much as we might wish it as Plantagenet fans, France is too strong a realm and ‘identity’ to be crushed to dust by the English. Continental power can only come at the expense of the Isles, which’ll never happen, thus without a sort of DoD ‘Dual Monarchy’ situation, which I don’t see happening without me just blatantly railroading it, England is likely to be forced onto the OTL trajectory of being a naval and extra-continental power once France inevitably slowly, slowly, claws it’s way back.

Although weaker territorially than OTL considering Brittany and Burgundy will have formed into independent realms.

My current idea, which might change, is that
the House of Plantagenet will split as OTL into one or two cadet branches, and one will come to rule Brittany, while the other will end up enacting a ‘fusion’ via matrilineal marriage to the Stuarts, who I’m also a fan of, thus achieving a ‘Britain’ wherein the monarchy isn’t curtailed so deeply by some ‘Glorious Revolution’ like event. We might see a Britain as early as 1600 under a Plantagenet-Stuart dynasty.
Got it. Never though you would with the whole of france, it aint realistic.

And really hope that a stuart queen of scots marries a plantagenet king.

Hope the romans have time to barricade as timur slaps the turks around

Likely Timur will capture and sack Nicomedia like he did Smyrna in OTL, then turn back and focus on troubles within his empire that developed while he was gone and plan his great final campaign against the Chinese.

Likely Timur will capture and sack Nicomedia like he did Smyrna in OTL, then turn back and focus on troubles within his empire that developed while he was gone and plan his great final campaign against the Chinese.
One thing that would intrigue with Timur TTL is he actually goes on to conquer China, or at least a part of China that leaves a lasting mark. IIRC in the Edward of Angoulême TL The Dead Live, Timur (or his descendants) conquers Northern China (now firmly Muslim) while Southern China remains free under the Ming.

@Averious it would be interesting seeing all of Asia set aflame because of Timur...and the Romans see an opportunity 😎😎😎

Edit: Surprised I haven't seen a comment by @Basileus_Komnenos by now with the TL being updated again

Last edited:
One thing that would intrigue with Timur TTL is he actually goes on to conquer China, or at least a part of China that leaves a lasting mark. IIRC in the Edward of Angoulême TL The Dead Live, Timur (or his descendants) conquers Northern China (now firmly Muslim) while Southern China remains free under the Ming.

@Averious it would be interesting seeing all of Asia set aflame because of Timur...and the Romans see an opportunity 😎😎😎

Edit: Surprised I haven't seen a comment by @Basileus_Komnenos by now with the TL being updated again
Nicomedia probably is on the chopping block, but then so is Smyrna as well--Timur will probably only really be stopped, at least as far as I see it now, around Nicaea--but not so much by force of arms but by being overstretched. His defeat would probably come by the previously mentioned, a bit back, coalition that forms to kick him out of Anatolia and the Levant.

As for if he lasts long enough to cause issues in China? I'm pretty much of the mind that he keels over as he does OTL--if only because it'll be hilarious.

Rough Map, circa 1371
I hear you guys like maps.

Obviously, as rough as the last one, but it gets the point across.
1716030293515.png