The Campaign Trail Game Has Returned.

Horace Boies.

You need to pick someone from the Great Lake states, Iowa and the plains will take care of themselves. I notice that you are winning the popular vote and losing the electoral college, which presumably means you're losing by small margins in a lot of places and winning by big margins in a lot of others. It doesn't matter what your margin of victory is in the south and west, as long as you there and in a couple of the lake states...

teg

You need to pick someone from the Great Lake states, Iowa and the plains will take care of themselves. I notice that you are winning the popular vote and losing the electoral college, which presumably means you're losing by small margins in a lot of places and winning by big margins in a lot of others. It doesn't matter what your margin of victory is in the south and west, as long as you there and in a couple of the lake states...

teg
Well, I did it. Bryan/Matthews and 240-207.

genusmap.php

I played as William J. Bryan in the 1896 election with Mr. Horace Boies as my running mate. Mr. McKinley basically took all of New England plus New York and Pennsylvania. Everything else went to the Bryan/Boies ticket.

William Jennings Bryan: 330 ECV, 7,548,516 votes equaling 53.9% of the popular vote.

William McKinley: 117 ECV, 6,319,719 votes equaling 45.1% of the popular vote.

John Palmer : 0 ECV, 128,943 votes equaling 0.9% of the popular vote.

Last edited:
Playing as Humphrey. Awh yeah.

Hubert H. Humphrey(Democratic): 435 EV - 47.4%
Richard M. Nixon (Republican): 57 EV - 39.3%
George C. Wallace (American Independent): 45 EV - 13.3%

Abhakhazia

Banned
Okay, I've finally figured out why the 2012 game is pretty strange when it comes to Romney winning New York, compared to Illinois, California, or other just as solid blue/more conservative states.

You see for California, Massachusetts, Vermont, Illinois and Rhode Island you have the five or six issues they use as all "Liberal", while New York is "Moderate" on the economy and "Leans Liberal" on healthcare.

John Farson

Banned
Humphrey landslide. I picked Ted Kennedy and ran a straight liberal, civil rights, peace campaign. The debate did nothing, but I exposed Nixon's meddling in the peace talks for the death blow.

I too picked Kennedy, and ran a similar campaign, yet I suffered a landslide defeat. What states should be visited? Do they matter?

I too picked Kennedy, and ran a similar campaign, yet I suffered a landslide defeat. What states should be visited? Do they matter?

I just picked the large-ish states where it was grey or leaning me. I think they have some effect, since they're replacing the old thing where you would choose what cities you'd visit.

What happened with the debate and did you expose Nixon over sabotaging the peace talks? It could also do with your difficulty setting.

John Farson

Banned
I just picked the large-ish states where it was grey or leaning me. I think they have some effect, since they're replacing the old thing where you would choose what cities you'd visit.

What happened with the debate and did you expose Nixon over sabotaging the peace talks? It could also do with your difficulty setting.

There was no debate, only the bit with Nixon refusing to debate and asking me what I wanted to do with it. I picked the "relentlessly hammer him on it" option. Yes, I also exposed Nixon on sabotaging the talks. My difficulty setting was Normal.

John Farson

Banned
Welp, I've played the game several times now at normal, as Bryan, Humphrey and Obama, and each time I've lost, doing worse than historically.

I guess I just suck at this game.

There was no debate, only the bit with Nixon refusing to debate and asking me what I wanted to do with it. I picked the "relentlessly hammer him on it" option. Yes, I also exposed Nixon on sabotaging the talks. My difficulty setting was Normal.

I'll admit was playing on Easy to test the waters of the new game so to speak. That probably explains some of it, but it seems a little ridiculous to have a landslide defeat the next difficulty. However, I have played on Normal and it looks like you just got a bad roll of the RNG.

John Farson

Banned
I'll admit was playing on Easy to test the waters of the new game so to speak. That probably explains some of it, but it seems a little ridiculous to have a landslide defeat the next difficulty. However, I have played on Normal and it looks like you just got a bad roll of the RNG.

Ah, so I should just play in on Easy, then? Also, what's RNG? And yes, the 1968 results were really ridiculous, with HHH winning c. 40 EVs despite being 4-5 points behind Nixon.

Ah, so I should just play in on Easy, then? Also, what's RNG? And yes, the 1968 results were really ridiculous, with HHH winning c. 40 EVs despite being 4-5 points behind Nixon.

RNG is the Random Numbers Generator. In games like this, I think there is an element of randomness so make the same game a little different every time. But I don't know how this particular game works. It might not be it.

If you're having trouble with Normal, you definitely should try Easy until you have an easier time.

I'm disappointed that being William "Lets stand up for the African-Americans and against Lynching" Jennings Bryan or George "MLK was a cool dude" Wallace hurts you in the north as well as in the south, and being William "The Populists have some good points" McKinley destroys you everywhere.

U.S David

Banned
I played as Obama, running some standard Liberal answers with some Moderatism mixed in. I didn't see this coming at all. :eek:

yT1SM7C.png

Yep, I won the Popular vote by 2%.

uFLEQ90.png

Fun fact, I only lost Ohio by .8%.

At least it makes room for an Obama comeback in 2016.

View attachment 234341

Wallace gets everything he wanted...

Humphrey/Harris: 247 electoral votes
Nixon/Agnew: 243 electoral votes
Wallace/LeMay: 45 electoral votes

teg

R8qoa8b.png

Humphrey landslide. I picked Ted Kennedy and ran a straight liberal, civil rights, peace campaign. The debate did nothing, but I exposed Nixon's meddling in the peace talks for the death blow.

Where did you get these maps? I like the this map, butmy paint program deals with blank maps the best.

I played as Humphrey in the '68 campaign and tried to do as poorly as possible. George Wallace came in second. This game is awesome. I would recommend it to anybody with even a mild interest in politics.

Had just about the closest game ever. I played on Impossible as Nixon, chose Romney as my running mate and ran as far to the left as I could get away with. I won the election by 941 votes in Nevada.

Richard Nixon/George Romney - 270 EV
Hubert Humphrey/Edmund Muskie - 203 EV
George Wallace/Curtis LeMay - 64 EV

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 11.29.42 PM.png

I ran as McKinley on normal, running on a message of national unity and lassiez-faire capitalism with a moderate approach to tariffs and beard guy as my running mate. I won, winning everything WM won OTL plus SD, WY, and WA.

I also ran as Romney/Ryan on normal, basically running like Romney OTL, except for taking a more federalist stance on social issues and emphasising the way forward rather than attacking Obama as much. Won with a repeat of the 2000 electoral map plus Iowa, in spite of promising to abolish ethanol subsidies. (Trollface)

Last edited: